Monday, January 01, 2007

He emailed me today.

Some family shit blew up, they have all been dealing with it, and everything has been put on the back burner. He apologized for being uncommunicative. He also said he wants to catch a flight out today and get the hell out. I can't help but be excited by that comment because it seems as though he has started to see Vancouver as his home. And it means that he would be home and not working right away, so maybe we could spend some time together. He had talked about taking me to Whistler and getting a hotel room with a jacuzzi, which of course I am all over like white on rice.

He said he would try to phone me today, and when I emailed him back I asked for him to let me know asap for when his flight gets in, so that I can arrange to go pick him up. I work tomorrow morning so I'm hoping he can't catch a flight until tomorrow sometime and then I would be done work for the week and able to pick him up and hopefully hang out for a bit after I get him home.

I still feel depressed because of what's going on with my mother, but I haven't figured out any way to deal with it yet. However, the longer it goes, the worse it will get, so maybe I need to just suck it up and head over there today and just have the conversation. It will be terrible but so will letting things deteriorate between us.

She's probably napping right now, so maybe I'll phone her after I have a shower and get the smell of stale cigarette smoke out of my hair. Now if I could just get it out of my lungs too ... no more smoking for me! I quit in February of 2006 but I am one of the people who can have one every once in a while and it doesn't make me start up whole hog again. But the last few days I have been smoking more, and last night I think I smoked close to half a pack, and now today I feel like gross.

Maybe I'll go to yoga tonight. I wonder if the class is cancelled because of New Year's Day and all.

Update:

Just called my mother, who first said she didn't want to talk to me today and then hung up the phone. Then she called back and said that it wasn't just me walking out last night - it was the fact that after I left, Dad called her a liar and said that she always says things and then twists them a few weeks later and he's sick of it and he doesn't want to hear it anymore. (Which is absolutely true, by the way. It's happened time and time again.) And then she told me that she doesn't want to live with him anymore because how on earth does someone you've known for 33 years call you a liar?

The interesting thing is, both Dad and I said that she said one thing and she said another. We both agreed that she had said that she never wanted to go back to this particular place, and she was insisting that she had said that she only didn't want to go back to the same place they stayed, but the town itself she wants to go back to. She said that he always tells her she said one thing when she knows she said another, and that he can never say to her, "Maybe I misunderstood." But why can't she ever say, "Maybe I didn't communicate it very well"?

I don't know what the hell I am going to do with this whole thing. I do know that I am not planning on talking to either parent for a couple days.