Monday, September 12, 2005

Profound moment

My Mum wants to buy me a fridge. I have a fridge already but it is second hand and was filthy when I got it. I don't remember exactly how dirty but my Mum does because she cleaned it for me. I had flu and couldn't get out of bed but I had sooo much to do and so she came to my new house and helped me set up and stuff.

And my Mum hates dirt. A whole lot. She saw an ad for a fridge that is on sale and thought of me and my bad germy fridge.

Tonight I was talking with my Dad and I told him that I felt a little uncomfortable with her buying me such an expensive item. I asked why she wouldn't spend the money on herself instead, and that taking such a gift makes me feel like a selfish, horrible person. Fridges are expensive and my Mum doesn't work that much.

He countered with, "It makes her feel good to do things for you. And I guess she has all she needs..."

Then we were silent for a moment, considering this idea.

How many of us can say that we are happy with exactly what we have? And that if we were to have some spare cash lying around, it would make us more happy to spend it on a loved one? To do something incredibly nice and generous for someone else and ask nothing but love in return.

We both teared up a little bit. It was a profound moment - be happy with what you have.